Thursday, February 19, 2009

"after 5 fabrics"

I just want to put my 2 cents in. I am no longer afraid of the slippery fabrics. I am by no means, no way, no how any kind of expert. But I am a fast learner and always copy good ideas. I read about this on a blog.

For slippery fabric to become stable (so that it behaves like cotton ) all you must do is use fusible interfacing on it. I have started using easy knit fusible interfacing and have had much success. Try it at least once. I promise you won't regret it.

6 comments:

  1. When we did the one-block swap I found a gorgeous stretch velour in the right colours and used the fusible interfacing on the back. It worked a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The muslin foundation seems to work for me, to stablize the sikly/slippery fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree whole heartedly on using interfacing for the "stretchy" fabrics...and the slippery ones.

    And, I also am no expert...but working on RR blocks from 5 chat groups really gives you a good feel for what is working and what is not.

    And the blocks that are "wonky" are those that used these fabrics without interfacing. I'm sure they started out flat...but as more folks handle them and add more weight to them..they start to sag.

    For me, I just don't much like the "shiny" look...I know, I'm weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh the reason that fusible interfacing makes it better is when stitching certain motifs the patch tends to "discombobulate" that particular area. Doesn't usually happen on seam treatment but much more on patches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this interfacing make it hard to get your needle through when adding beads, etc? Libby

    ReplyDelete
  6. probably would not be hard to get the needle through if you use a light weight.

    I dont know though because I am new to this also.

    ReplyDelete