Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Kathy's First Block - Makeup Bag


Well, I don't really do makeup...so this will be for some type of "organizer" of my supplies or projects I suspect. It will have the standard zipper closure, but the bottom will be 3" wide.

The sides of the photo will actually be the top of the bag where the zipper is. And the green strip down the middle is the bottom. So the photo is sideways...lay you head on you shoulder and you get the idea of the final project. The front and back are not identical, but are using the same fabrics in the same sequence. I probably will not use the same seam treatments on both sides...as I want each to be unique...but work together, if that makes any sense.

I usually have worked with cottons...so working with velvets and silks is new. I want a very opulent look...lots of beads and shiny threads!

Also, my daughter asked me yesterday to do the brides bouquet for a close friend. Her colors are white, red, sage...so, I'm also going to do a second bag...as a gift for her as well. Just trying to decide if I want to piece in color...or all white, and embellish with color...

3 comments:

  1. Love your block, rich colors it will make a stunning makeup bag. I'm guessing that your genius sewing mind just knows how to assemble the bag. If you wouldn' t mind sharing, could you write down the steps to assemble the makeup bag? I have not sewn in so long that I just struggle with "finishing"/assembly of anything. Yes, I have several flat pieces of cq just laying around, right next to all of my finished xstitch that hasn't been framed etc.

    Please post a photo of the bride-to-be make up bag block. Red and sage are two of my favorite colors, sounds like an awesome combination for embellishments on a white block, using textured white fabric for interest. Maybe some dupioni silk, satin, brocades, eyelet, a piece of white hankie with white on white embroidery then embellish the edge with red or sage so that the white embroidery stands out...ok, now I'm getting carried away....can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post a photo of the brides block when done. I just finally locked in my mind what I want to do...and will probably enter it into a challenge...and kill two birds with one stone. Don't care if I win or anything...just want to finish a commitment I made.

    Anyway, I'm going to do a white and cream block...with all the seam embellishments in those tones. Then line the bag in rich red. Over all the white and beige work...I'll place a "bouquet" of red flowers with sage stems, and a piece of sage ribbon to tie the stems together. The flowers will be dimensional silk petals (if I can find some I like...please...) with pearl and crystal centers. A white tassel will hang from the zipper...or maybe a string of beads...haven't decided that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, this will be a lovely, to pretty to use for make-up bag. IMHO, I so like the softness of the colors and lace. Libby

    ReplyDelete